Michele Mautone was born in Marigliano (Naples) in 1947. After attending the artistic high school, he studied sculpture at the Academy of Fine Arts in Naples with Greco, Perez. and Mastroianni. In 1969 he began his activity as a teacher of pictorial disciplines at the Salerno art school and, after a few years, he settled in Eboli where he coordinates the "Centrart" art center. In Eboli, in 1976, the first personal exhibition was set up with drawings and sculptures in cement and sand.
From 1978 to 1982 he participated in MAIL ART initiatives with graphic works and at the same time collaborated with the magazine "HYRIA". Since 1980 he has experimented with color in sculpture by mixing it with sand and cement. The sculptures of this period, entitled "oblique look" were exhibited at the San Carlo gallery in Naples in 1983. Subsequently his research underwent a technical and creative transformation; the works of "the fire of the earth" were born, exhibited in two solo shows in Naples and Cava de 'tirreni in 1985. In the following years the works were enriched with other materials, including wood and iron, giving rise to the cycle of works "portrait of framed sculpture "exhibited in Nola and Angri. Research continues to this day with the series of" Campania lands ", monuments" and "newsstands" with personal and collective exhibitions. From 1997 to 2003 he was also part of the MUTANDIS group and participated in all the group's exhibitions and performances.
His works appear in private and public collections (Magi museum - Pieve di Cento-bo, museum of games - Albano di Lucania, municipality of Torrecuso –BN)
He currently lives and works in Marigliano