The old Hall of Justice was burned down during the 1906 earthquake and rebuilt in 1910 by city architect Newton J. Tharp. The fourth-floor window design, the famous images of half-circle, fan-shaped windows from the floor. The San Francisco Hall of Justice is also mentioned in the works of Dashiell Hammett and James Patterson. It was demolished in 1968. The current Hall of Justice, located on 850/880 Bryant Street, serves as SFPD's operational headquarters, "Southern Station". It is internally referred to as "850 Bryant" and "the hall". The complex serves as the main San Francisco County Jail, as well as the base of operations and headquarters for the San Francisco Sheriff's Department, and garage for the majority of vehicles for the SFPD. The famed San Francisco Police motorcycle traffic division is completely based out of it as well. In 1994, the Hall was renamed for Thomas J. Cahill, the legendary Chief of the SFPD from 1958 to 1970. Today a hotel, the Hilton San Francisco Financial District, now stands on this site.